RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION ACADEMY: PLUMBING, 2E is the ideal book to create a direct link between readers’ education/training program and the residential construction industry. The result of a strategic partnership between the National Association of Home Builder’s (NAHB) Home Builders Institute and Delmar, Cengage Learning, the Residential Construction Academy Series is the perfect way to learn essential workplace skills for readers new to the building trades. Written in partnership with the Home Builders Institute, and endorsed by NAHB, RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION ACADEMY: PLUMBING, 2E provides a step-by-step approach to residential plumbing installations based on national skill standards. Focusing on "Green" advancement in the plumbing trades, this book thoroughly explains the process of installing residential plumbing systems by exploring topics such as tools of the trade and proper safety measures and by offering various tips to increase readers’ on-the-job productivity. Logically organized to build a foundation of knowledge, this book progresses from the installation of common fixtures to troubleshooting techniques that will aid readers. An emphasis on creative layout and the importance of understanding code variations will foster readers’ understanding of plumbing system installation that is based on typical situations as well as unique jobsite conditions.
- Based on industry skill standards developed in partnership with HBI and NAHB, with emphasis placed on safety and productivity throughout ensures students are adequately prepared for the world of work.
- Includes integrated projects with step-by-step art that bring the product and code lessons to life.
- Includes step-by-step procedures for key areas of construction that make it easy for your students to understand and apply techniques.
- Includes coverage of the rough-in phase of water and drainage waste and vent (DWV) systems.
- Examines variations in building designs that focus your students on the design intent.
- Includes Green Tip boxes and Green Checklists highlight tips and topics for you and your students on new "green" construction methods.
- New Green content pertaining to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and information, such as LEED 500-mile radius purchase/install initiatives.
- Coverage of the new California "weighted average" lead free law.
- New Green plumbing technologies like water conservation fixtures and faucets, tankless water heaters, and the use of Low Volatile Organic Compounds (LO-VOC).
- A new Introduction chapter covers industry-related topics such as business practices, ethical and legal issues, career goals, customer service, and construction trends, as well as trade-specific career goals and career profiles of fellow professionals working in the field.
- A new feature called "What's Wrong with this Picture?" highlights through photos and descriptions the incorrect versus the correct way to execute basic tool use and avoid common mistakes.
- A new end-of-chapter feature called "Know Your Codes" is an application-based feature that prompts students to research their local and regional codes, providing excellent practice for a critical on-the-job skill.
- Incorporates new materials and various code updates from across the country.