MASONRY SKILLS, Seventh Edition, provides a comprehensive, reader-friendly guide to the masonry trade, covering fundamental principles, basic practices, advanced techniques, and new trends and developments in both residential and commercial masonry. Meticulously revised, the new edition includes the latest developments in the field, including current OSHA requirements, advances in construction technology and techniques, and a focus on sustainable building materials and processes. Featuring two full-color sections of finished projects, a new engaging design, and a wealth of new photos, the seventh edition seeks to inspire and educate both new and practicing masons. Approved and field-tested by professionals, this text is an ideal resource for anyone seeking the specialized knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the masonry industry.
- Logically organized, the text introduces core concepts such as safety, tools, equipment, and manufacturing processes, then moves on to explore essential skills such as estimating, laying brick and block, building corners, and the design and development of chimneys and arches.
- Explains the concepts behind masonry techniques and successful completion of projects, including the historical significance of how each material evolved, how to read and understand construction drawings, and practical advice on how to properly maintain existing structures and to create new and sustainable works.
- Drawing on decades of experience as a master mason and an accomplished educator, the author infuses the text with a practical, real-world focus, encompassing tips and techniques, projects and examples, and advice on career considerations.
- “Cautions” highlight important safety information to help avoid preventable injuries on the job.
- “Going Green: A Focus on Sustainability” features information related to green practices that are becoming more commonplace within the masonry industry.
- Carefully designed to meet the needs of current and aspiring masons, the text has been approved and field-tested by professionals.
- A focus on greener and more sustainable building practices are highlighted in the text where applicable, offering insight into this growing industry trend.
- Current industry requirements, such as OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and the BIA (Brick Industry Association), ensure that masons comply with the latest standards and best practices.
- New and enhanced projects encourage application of the techniques presented in each unit and enable aspiring masons to practice important skills.
- Reader-friendly approach is complemented by a sleek new design, two full-color sections, and brand new photos to enhance learning.
- Teaching and learning is enhanced through supporting materials, including an Instructor Resources CD and a Companion website featuring tools for the instructor and student.